Friday, December 24, 2010

The Glory of Christmas

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
This is my story. This is my song.
Praising my Savior all the day long.

There's very little to write about Christmas that hasn't already be written a million times already, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Christmas is my favorite time of year for many, many reasons. I love hanging out with family and friends. I love the candy and cookies. I love just chilling out, playing games and watching the Muppet Christmas Carol. Most of all though, I love that every year, regardless of how hard I try to ignore it, God reminds me of himself.

The almighty God of the universe came down to dwell in human flesh. The very same God who speaks in thunder (Ex 19:18-19), whose word tears both rocks and hearts asunder (Jer 23:29, Heb 4:12). The God before whom angels hide their face (Isaiah 6:2), who stops the sun in the sky (Josh 10:10-13) and sets the stars in motion (Psalm 8:3-4). That's the God who came down to be born in a stable, to walk the earth with sinful men, and to die on a rude cross. He came down from glory to share the inheritance of heaven with us. He did it for you and for me, but mostly, he did it that his own name might be glorified (Rom 3:25-26, John 12:27-28). Christ came to save us, and he saved us for a purpose: that we might live our lives to glorify God.

This is our story. This is our song. Praising our Savior all the day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment